Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Introducing Dailia Louise

Meet Dailia Louise Laehn. We call her Daily for short. Three weeks ago this little lady came into the world.



Although she was born just three days shy of her due date, it was very unexpected. I had promised everyone that I would not have her until after June 17. Penelope was 10 days late, and August was five days late, so I had a history of late babies. I actually planned on having the baby on June 18 because Tim's grandpa, uncle, and brother all share that birthday. It just seemed appropriate that a fourth generation would share the date.

In the last few weeks leading up to my due date, I kept waiting for that nesting thing to happen. My house was kind of gross, but I knew there would be this moment where I would get this heavenly energy to make everything neat and orderly before the baby. It never happened.

When I was pregnant with August, I started a tradition where I buy myself a present on the baby's due date. At that point you need something to make you happy. Also, for the last 23 months, I've been regretting that my due date gift to myself was a $5 pair of clearance earrings at Target. I had just spent 40 whole weeks with a baby inside of me; I probably could have spent more than $5.

So, when my water broke at 9:30 p.m. Saturday, June 13, I was a little frustrated that #1, I wasn't ready at all to go to the hospital, and #2, I had to forgo my present to myself.

But like it or not, the baby was on her way.

So Tim and I frantically cleaned the house and packed for the hospital. I made a list of things my parents should know when they watch the kids while we're at the hospital, and tried to rest.

We went to the hospital at 1:00 am, and Dailia was born at 1:11 p.m.. She was 6lbs, 13 oz and she was beautiful.

Now that we have three weeks behind us, we know a little bit more about her. She's mostly laid back, but she has a feisty side that rears its ugly head around 10:00 pm every night. If we're lucky, we can get her back to her cool, collected, sleeping self by 11:30, but often not until 1:30 am.

So nights are tough, but there's perspective that comes with a third child. I know this stage won't last forever. I know this phase will end and something else will be difficult.

Three weeks in, it seems as though she is adapting quite well to our family. She is enduring the constant poking, hugging, and smushing from her siblings. She's been to some of my favorite events already: the Downtown Farmer's Market, the Arts Festival, and Yankee Doodle Pops.

Here's a photo of the five of us shortly after Penelope and August met their baby sister for the first time.




No comments:

Post a Comment