Monday, December 8, 2014

Festival of Trees and Cookies


I really appreciated my friend Andrea's blog about Advent. She is purposefully making the decorating and cookie baking minimal this year and really spending time focusing on Jesus' birth.

I appreciate her attitude about Christmas because I feel like I am in a similar place, for much less spiritual reasons. I'm just pregnant. 

We started a new family tradition this year of getting a real tree at a tree farm. It was pretty fun and idilic, but by the time we made it home, I was feeling sick and exhausted. So, I put a few ornaments on our tree, but mostly I watched Tim do the trimming. I would give feedback from the couch about where there weren't enough lights or ornaments. He actually did most of the decorating around the house. I gave him a general idea of where I wanted things, but he did it. 



But our tree looks great. (Sometime I may share my Christmas tree decorating tip that will change your life... or at least your Christmas tree). I even like our simple mantel... I like to call it The Festival of Trees and Lights. :) Now, from my faithful spot on the couch I get to gaze into our shiny, glimmering tree as I moan through my first trimester.


There is something magical about having young kids around Christmas. Every morning when Auggie wakes up, he is so amazed and excited about the tree. Penelope thinks every day is Christmas. 

Keeping in line with the magic of Christmas with little kids, the one dream I had for this Christmas season was to make cookies. So, I was thankful to feel good and ambitious enough on Saturday to whip up some dough. I don't think Penelope has ever had as much fun as she did while we were cutting out the cookies and then decorating them. She kept saying, "This is so fun, Mom!"




Sprinkles were everywhere. The kids mostly ate Funyons and sprinkles for dinner . Mom of the Year, I know, but we had a great time.


This photo was taken moments before August fell off the table. Again, Mom of the Year. 


And I think the cookies turned out pretty well.

We made the sugar cookies and icing, but I also whipped up these Texas sheet cake cookies I saw on Pinterest. They are good with milk, but I expected them to taste like the Pioneer Woman's Texas sheet cake that has 4 or 5 sticks of butter in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment